Monday, 1 October 2012

Better early than on the bubble

I played the CPT grand final over the weekend and it was quite a short affair - busting during the 150-300 level. I guess if you are going to bust outside the money in a tourney, busting early isn't the worst thing in the world.

My starting table wasn't incredibly tough or anything, but chips weren't flying either. It started out 10 handed and the first levels were very uneventful with pretty much no noteworthy hands. Just prior to the table break, I played two hands that could be considered minor coolers. In hindsight, I'm actually pretty happy with how I played the hands, so I guess I don't regret anything.

My bustout came at my new table playing a stack of 8500. I was at the table about an hour and hadn't played any hands to showdown yet. There was three limps around to my BB, and I make it 1300 with TT. The initial limper calls and the two players behind fold. The flop comes 8h9hJd. There's a few ways to play this but the end result is the money is going in. I decide to lead for 2500 giving the impression of maybe some fold equity. I get shoved on and we get it in. I'm up against the Ad8d and unfortunately the Ac peels off on the turn.

As I said, if you're going to bust, might aswell bust early instead of wasting time, energy and run good and getting knocked out on the bubble! I was happy with my play but early bustouts are an inevitable part of tournament poker sometimes.


Poker has been quiet enough the last while and I haven't really played too much. I went back to college at the start of the month and that's been taking up a bit more time than it did last year. Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing but it does mean there's less disposable time to dedicate to poker! I originally thought that with going back to college I'd have about 3 nights a week relatively free to log some online MTT sessions but that's proven not to be the case. For the time being, I think  the poker sessions will probably become semi-regular and I'd imagine it'll be mostly live sessions.

I also played the cash league final in Limerick about two weeks ago and ended up finishing 6/16. There was a bit of a bubble between 7th (250eur) and 6th (450eur) and along with the bonus I got for being in the top 3 in hours I was relatively happy though not ecstatic with the result. The tournament was ROE and I was happy with my play. Most of my lost chips just came from not being able to win any showdown/aipf/60-40 type hands.

To end this blog, I just want to give a few well deserved "congratulations" to a couple of players I've played with that have some pretty stellar results and scores lately. Sam Razavi, who won UKIPT Cork about 18 months ago, recently went on to win APPT Melbourne for a AUD$326,000 (€263k) pay-day. If this wasn't enough he also final tabled the LAPT Panama event to set up a chance at a 'PokerStars triple crown'. Winning three big events, literally all over the world would be some feat. Unfortunately he only managed 7th in Panama but still splendid results nonetheless.

The other big win was that of Johannes Meyer. I first met Johan this summer at the Caesars summer festival. We both managed to final table that event and he was definitely up there with the toughest players I've ever played against. I was in Galway 3 weeks later again for race week, and at the end-of-week main event, I was lucky enough to final table again - and wouldn't you know it, so was Johan. Johan also managed to final table one of the biggest events in world poker recently when he made it to the final 6 of the WCOOP Main Event. After an hour of deal-making, the final six eventually chopped it with Johan coming away with a mega $814k!!

Both Sam and Johan would definitely make my top 5 of toughest players I've played against and both definitely deserve their success. They're both top, top players and it is great to see them getting their rewards.

No comments:

Post a Comment