Tuesday, 24 April 2012

Irish Open 2012 - part 4

Tourney #3
€150+50+25 NLHE Scalps
Mon afternoon 3pm

After doing the whole deja vu thing of checking out of a hotel room for the second day in a row, I eventually decided to just stay for the €225 scalps event. I wasn't really in the mood to play, but I convinced myself that live €225 tournaments aren't on every day in Ireland and I'd regret not playing a few days later when I was stuck at home craving a live tournament.

A few hours in, and I was definitely happy with my decision. A few hours after that, I hated my decision.

The tourney got off to a good start and my flopped set ran into aces for a nice double-up. I was doing well at a slightly tighter than average table when Tom Hanlon and Paul Carr got moved to our table. Chips started flying and the dynamic of the table changed. My AJ manged to hold on a JT9 flop when I ran into Tom's J8. Carrie managed to amass a huge stack, but such is the nature of the beast, was out a few rounds later. Things settled down and by the time there was 4 tables left, I was in pretty decent shape. I had about 40k when the average was about 16k. First I lost a race to Doke when his 99 held against my AK, which cost me about 10k. Then, a shorty shoved for 7BBs from the CO and the SB called. I was playing around 27BBs and woke up with QQ in the BB. I shoved over the SB flat and he obv insta-called with aces. He just about had me covered and knocked me out.

It was a pretty tilt-inducing end to the weekend. I think you almost feel violated when you go from big chip leader to out in just a few hands. It's just such a shock to the system, one minute you're eyeing up first prize and thinking about making the final table, the next minute you're counting out your chips and realising he has you covered and you're out. The guy who had the aces was a total spaz who was open shoving 40BB stacks earlier in the tourney. I had a hand earlier when I folded 88 to one of his 3bet shoves (I didn't open, I just folded behind his 3bet shove). I was in good chip position at the table and didn't really want to play a big pot. That said, I felt I was ahead of his range and you can't really wait around in these fast paced structures. He showed 55 that hand so I'm left to wonder what could have been.



So financially, the weekend was bad. As always though, the Irish Open lived up to it's expectations in being good craic. I decided to go down a different route with the blog covering the IO so I hope any readers enjoyed it. I started this blog almost a year ago at this stage, but I never really had a clear idea of what I wanted the blog to look like. At the start, I was worried about writing too much (in actual words; sometimes I felt I had to be mechanical in trip reports and cover every little detail) or writing too little (in hands and strategy, I was hesitant to give much analysis for fear of 'giving anything away'). Now, I've come to the conclusion that the best thing to do is just write whatever I feel is 'right'. First and foremost, this blog is for me. Talking about stuff definitely helps your mindset, and it's always nice to have a blog to look back on in a few years. So the main thing is that I enjoy what I'm writing, and hopefully some others will enjoy it too.


So anyway, enough of that nonsense, the blog is what it is! So the Irish Open for 2012 drew to a close. There was no main event for me this year, but I hope to be back in 2013. Looking forward, I'm not really sure what's on the cards for me. I have exams starting next week, so I guess I'll be half pre-occupied with them for a while. Following that, we're heading into the summer and I'm really not sure what I'll be doing. Committing to things in advance is something I really do not like doing, so that naturally means it's tough to predict what lies in the future. Poker wise, the next big one is UKIPT Dublin. As it stands, I'm not sure if I'm going to play it. I think I'm going to take a break from the festivals for a while as they're simply out of my bankroll. Life expenses are piling up, and when you're not grinding consistently, they unfortunately eat into your roll.
Today (well, yesterday, technically) is the 23rd of April. William Shakespeare was born on the 23rd April 1564 and died on the 23rd of April 1616. So, not for the first time, I'm going to end this blog with a Shakespearean quote:

"If you can look into the seeds of time,
And say which grain will grow, and which will not,
Speak."

2 comments:

  1. Good stuff again Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know loads about grains so I'm speaking- nice blogging

    ReplyDelete