Tuesday, 16 August 2011

Bit of everything

Felt it was a bit too long to go without an update but still didn't have toooooo much to talk about...

 Last time I posted was just before I headed off on holidays. Very enjoyable trip. Other than betting on every Irishman (except Darren Clarke obviously) to win the Open, there was no gambling or poker for the two weeks. I was kept entertained however, as I got to see Eoghan O'Dea make the November nine. ESPN showed live coverage (30min delay and you'd get to see hole cards after the hand) of the main event which was class. There aren't enough superlatives to describe how brilliant it is to have an Irishman at THE final table. The only way it could be topped is if he goes and wins the thing, and at this point in time, he has to be the favourite. I can't really say any more than what has already been said about this, so I'll just leave it with a "Best of fucking luck Eoghan O'Dea!!!".

I also read some of the updates from the Waterford Masters when I was gone. Was great to see both Liam and Carrie cashing. You also have to be delighted for Jason Tompkins winning it. I was looking forward to having a bit of a sweat with Jason in Vegas this year, but due to ill health, he couldn't travel. Needless to say, coming back with a bang with a win in your first tournament isn't a bad way to go!

While we're talking about tourney results, I also have to give a big congratulations to Fintan Gavin, the 2011 UKIPT Edinburgh champion! Fintan's obviously known as a bit of a character so I look forward to watching this final table on TV!


I have been playing a good bit since returning home. The cash games in Limerick have been good so I've been logging the hours. I've played 9 times in the last two weeks, and to give you an idea of the size of the games, I experienced both my two biggest winning nights, and my two biggest losing nights in that period! One of these nights, I witnessed one of these mystical players that I didn't think really existed. A guy sat down after coming from the black jack table and proceeded to play every hand, calling down with almost anything. Now you often say this describing a LAG player, but this guy, literally, called with anything. It was honestly like nothing I'd seen before at a poker table. Unfortunately, my hands didn't quite hold up so I ended up a big loser that night! But as the saying goes, that's poker. Can't complain when there are still games and players like that knocking around the place.

One thing I will mention while I'm on it though, is people either complaining/insulting/educating players like this. The guy obviously isn't a serious poker player and is playing for entertainment. Chances are, he's happy enough to have a good time, have a bit of a gamble and lose the money. I'll never understand people that insult bad players (after getting sucked out on, I can somewhat understand it, but after winning a pot, complaining about how badly your opponent played the hand....please explain that one to me). Anyway, I just think it's something aspiring players should really take note of. Let the bad players lose their money if they so please and try to make sure they have a good time while they're doing it. It will make them more likely to come back if they enjoy the game.

I've pretty much played zero online in the last month. I think I played a few satelittes alright but that's about it. I did play a sat to the Macau main event in Fitzpatricks though and won a ticket. It was a €50+5 with 1 rebuy so I managed to win one of three tickets there. Good game where I played well and won my races. My super-sat strategy was a little bit rusty and I think I may have made an error or two on the bubble.

I'll be heading down to Cork later on today and I think I'll be staying for the rest of the week . There's 3 events I'm definitely playing (€275 6max, €330 PLO and €550 M.E.) and  plenty of other tourneys (€100 turbos etc.) and cash games to keep me occupied. The weekend after this, is the €1650 Unibet Open which is a big one I'm definitely looking forward to. Should be a busy few weeks, and I'm really looking forward to it all. I'm very happy with my game right now and feel very comfortable and confident. Hopefully the next blog title will read "3 wins from 3 tournaments, no big deal...".


Last thing I'll mention before I finish is that I believe tonight will be my TV debut. The Cork UKIPT is on channel 4 at about midnight tonight. I think it's mostly day 1 in the first episode, so don't expect to see too much of me tonight. The final table should be next week and the week after though, so tune in then to see all my bluffs going wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment